I was in Paducah, KY for a class at the National Quilt Museum in October 2018, and of course had to go to the quilting mecca, Hancock's of Paducah. My husband came in with me and looked around for awhile (I stayed longer than he did!) and in the midst he handed me this pattern and said he really liked it. So the pattern came home with us from that trip, it's a wallhanging with a completed size of 14 inches wide by 36 inches long.The stacked stones are appliqued with unfinished edges to create the more chunky look. This grouping of stones reminded me of something in a zen garden that would have one of the vertical water fountains running down a window behind it, so I quilted it with vertical stitching to stimulate the water flow.
I picked up this pattern in the 2014 Chattanooga AQS show and began work on it in fall 2018 when I was spending time in my sewing room so I could hang out with my beautiful Kaspar, my geriatric kitty who only had another few months to live. This was made completely out of material from stash.The pattern was more along the lines of just a series of directions rather than an actual pattern, and not for the faint of heart.
The design is based on a grid tool I picked up at the final Chattanooga AQS show in 2016. I loved the design but found that I really didn't like using the tool, it was far too cumbersome. The four inner blocks were completed in January 2018 by using the tool, but I wasn't up for trying to figure out the rest. But it occurred to me during the summer that I could paper piece the border design that hadn't been worked yet if I photocopied the tool onto some of my special paper piecing pattern stock.So it was finally completed in August 2018, using a dual binding technique to show off the color design.
This started with an inside hexagon that grew as the strips were placed at a slight angle in the sequence of the twelve ordered colors. The piece is approximately two feet square, albeit there is a slight longer horizontal than vertical balance.The piecing was completed in January 2018 but I didn't have time to quilt and bind it until late July.
|An Escher like effect on a quilt that produces a 3-D illusion effect.|
|This is a very cool miniature quilt made up of thirty-one 3-inch blocks, each made up of 71 pieces. It was started in October 2016 and completed in January 2017. The technique is foundation paper piecing, and it finished off to a size of 19 inches wide by 24 inches high. For more information, please see the blog entry HERE.|
|The first quilt I've made up from Jacqueline de Jonge's amazing Be Colourful line coming out of Denmark. This was an amazing project to work on and will probably turn into a wall hanging. For more information, please see the blog entry HERE.|
|Gotta do something just for grins every once in awhile. I saw this fabric for sale at the end of the 2015 holiday season and knew I just had to make this one up.|
|A small display quilt (52 inches square) made from a class taken at Chattanooga AQS in September 2015. The tool is the Creative Grid pineapple tool block, makes lovely blocks and this entire quilts was made from scrap stash.|
|Another miniature quilt, this one made with all Cherrywood hand dyed fabric from stash. The inner square is approximately 8 inches square, and the design is paper pieced to get all the little angles and detail to work out.|
|After taking a class with the incredible Gail Garber in the fall of 2014, I was finally able to finish this project off and get it hung on the wall of the music room where I can look at it while I am practicing.|
|This holiday quilt was actually completed close to a year back, but was taken out of storage for Chattanooga Quilt Shop's quilt trunk show being run concurrently with the Chattanooga American Quilter's Society show.|
|I took a class with Malka Dubrawsky at the National Quilt Museum in July, se dyed all kinds of fabric and used all kinds of techniques. This is the small quilt completed with combining all the pieces together.|
|I started doing a few small dyeing projects, this was a silk scarf that started out as a blank (all white) and I did a combination of blues and purples on.|
|Variegating the yarn was necessary for this because I found that the weave was so tight that I was not going to have enough of the original color. So the scarf on the left wove from darker to lighter in order to have it be long enough to be a scarf and not a very strange placemat instead.|
|My second Judy Niemeyer quilt patter, the Bali Wedding Star took about a year to complete between all the individual pieces finally getting together into the completed quilt.|
|Exploding Star pattern first tried a few days back now in holiday colors.|
|Munch's famous "Screamer" fabric found for a pillow to go to my friend Pete Temko so he'd have something to throw during FSU football games!|
|The Exploding Star pattern made up into pillows, the fabric supplied by my childhood friend Molly Cole Hutchins!|
|Second attempt at a whole cloth quilt. Similar colors to the first try (right below) but a different design this time. Variegated thread was used to add a bit of shimmer effect, this is currently hanging up in the Chattanooga Quilts fabric and quilt store in Ooltewah, TN as a store sample.|
|This is the first time I attempted a "wholecloth" technique, where the entire quilt design is made from just the actual quilting on a piece of plain material.|
|A very cool 3D type effect quilt made for my husband.|
|Miniature quilts are so cool! This is my second attempt, the inner block is 12 inches square and has about 360 pieces in it.|
|My college roommate sent me some of her wonderful hand-dyed chenille, which got woven (on the loom) up into the scarf that's gracing Charlie Chaplin.|
|Made out of my stash batik pieces, this quilt reminded me of the cookies we used to bake as kids with the LifeSavers that would melt down and look like a stained glass window effect.|